Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chapter 3: Kickin' it Vegas Style

We've lived in Vegas for almost 8 months now. The decision to move here was a pretty spontaneous one but has turned out to be exactly what we needed. After David and I got married, we were informed by many respectable people to "fly low" for awhile in regards to our careers. With a Bachelor's degree fresh in our pockets, we were eager to start digging into Ministry but decided to take their opinions. So, we lived in La Habra, I was an admin and David worked part-time at a coffee shop and part time teaching piano. In August of 2010 our lease was coming to an end and the "what now" question started slowly creeping up behind us. With David not liking where he was working, he started the strenuos and oh-so-fun (sarcasm) job hunt. One weekend while visiting my brother in Vegas, David had mentioned looking for a job and Rusty, jokingly, said, "You could always come work for me". We laughed at his joke and then that night it hit us...could that be a possibility? We had decided it had potential because we were strongly thinking about going to do some mission work with my parents in Burma but needed the time to pray, discuss, and eventually fund-raise. We were in this "in-between" phase in life and thought what better way to spend it then going back to my roots. So, a few weeks later we found ourselves in an apartment that is 7 minutes from the Strip. Still to this day I will pull out of my apartment complex, see the Luxor right in front of me and laugh thinking, "Haha, I never thought I would be back here".

It really has been a great move. I have been able to finish my internship and classes for my B.A. (yeah, yeah, I know...it took me 5 years to get through college), we have been able to pay off some debt, and have really enjoyed being so close to family again.

No comments:

Post a Comment